Newton's Walk is named after the Leaper Newton family who owned Leylands (now the Leylands Estate) on Broadway. This was a path from the house down to Kedleston Road.
This picture was taken around 1913 looking up Newton?s Walk towards Broadway, with Longford Street in the distance.
The stream ran along the side of Newton's Walk until it was diverted through a culvert (a covered channel under the road) in the 1940s. The stream is still visible between the University cut-through and the Leylands estate. Further down Newton's Walk, the stream was culverted just after 1901 when Bromley Street and Park Grove were built.
The land to the right of the stream, behind the hall, was used for allotments until after World War 2 when the houses in West Park Road were built.
Courtesy of Derby Evening Telegraph and www.picturethepast.org.uk
The start of a school cross country race in May 1930 on Newton's Walk.
Kedleston Road School opened in October 1910. There were three parts to the school when it was first built:
The school was built in response to the need for more school places as people moved into the new houses built after 1901. Before this building opened children attended schools on Ashbourne Road.
The current school playing field did not exist as part of the school land at that time. The brick wall on the edge of the front playground (which had a set of railings that were shorn off during World War 2) formed the southern boundary of the school. The school only became Markeaton Primary School in 1969.