SIX STREETS DERBY

A VIBRANT, INNOVATIVE AND NURTURING COMMUNITY GROUP THAT ENHANCES THE LIVES OF LOCAL RESIDENTS

Discussions

Forum Home > Can you help? > The Big Sweep?

Jemma Wain

Hi all

I had a thought, following and action yesterday and wanted to run it past people to see how they feel about it.

The leaves that fall (which I don't mind as I love the trees), do create rather a dirty mess and over the course of autumn and winter turn to mulch.

I have noticed how slippery that becomes especially as the leaves seem to embed themselves onto the pavement and as such, I usually walk in the middle of the road where it is cleaner / clearer. Plus no matter how hard you wipe your feet, it does get trampled in...

So, yesterday, as I spotted my energetic neighbour sweeping up the pavement in the front of her house, I joined her and we cleared both the pavement and the gutter in front of our respective properties (and had a chin wag about the parking forum). Whilst we were clearing, deep in the leaves was some dog poo, which sadly happens when you can't see what's beneath the surface...it then gets trampled into the leaves and before you know it, at best, a certain stench is following you from beneath your shoes, at worst, you walk it into yours or a neighbours house.

It made me wonder....I always think how great it looks after the infrequent council clear up....I wondered whether, as a community we could do a 'Big Sweep' every now and then (say every 6 months after the major leaf fall has ended (about now) and then again 6 months on) whereby each house, where they are prepared to of course, sweeps up the pavement and guttering in the front of their house. 

Anyway I just thought that, although it's not a particularly glamorous activity, it does support community spirit (particularly when old or people who are a little bit unsteady on their feet have to try to work out how to walk across the slippery mush without breaking a hip....and by the way, icy weather will make it a whole lot worse)....I think it's the kind of thing that brings people together....most of us want our streets to look nice and for the sake of an hour every 6 months or so....

Is anybody interested? It's a great way to keep the streets looking nice and to catch up with each other where the dark nights keep us all locked away in the warm....

:D

November 14, 2016 at 7:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

diana b
Administrator

I'd join in - and enjoy sipping on a hot chocolate  :P  in between sweeping and putting the world to rights! Could be opportunity for a enterprising resident to sell hot drinks (charity benefiting?) or we could bring our own....

--

November 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Diane
Administrator
Yes, I think that is an excellent idea! At the moment the pavements are as slippery as when it is icy
--
November 15, 2016 at 3:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jemma Wain

diana b at November 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM

I'd join in - and enjoy sipping on a hot chocolate  :P  in between sweeping and putting the world to rights! Could be opportunity for a enterprising resident to sell hot drinks (charity benefiting?) or we could bring our own....

Thanks Diana...mmmm, hot chocolate :D

Not sure what we need to do to get this moving...?

Suggest a weekend day and go for it?

November 15, 2016 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jemma Wain

Diane at November 15, 2016 at 3:42 AM

Yes, I think that is an excellent idea! At the moment the pavements are as slippery as when it is icy

Great Diane, thanks...see my last reply to Diana....worst comes to the worst, there are 3 of us doing it!

:lol:

November 15, 2016 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron
It would also help I think if those people having work done in their homes ensured the mud etc was cleaned up from outside their houses. This is also very slippery and bad when it freezes.
December 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ron
It would also help I think if those people having work done in their homes ensured the mud etc was cleaned up from outside their houses. This is also very slippery and bad when it freezes.
December 8, 2016 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.