SIX STREETS DERBY

A VIBRANT, INNOVATIVE AND NURTURING COMMUNITY GROUP THAT ENHANCES THE LIVES OF LOCAL RESIDENTS

Discussions

Forum Home > Can you help? > Darley Board Info. 02.11.16

Phil

Darley Board Notes – 02.11.16

POLICE REPORT

There is a spike in house burglaries at the moment but police are pursuing this vigorously. They are also investigating drug use in the area but cannot give details as investigations are ongoing. More positively, motor vehicle and shed break ins are down after arrests. The exception with motor vehicles is white van crime, especially Ford Transits. Several gangs are targeting these vans with some sort of kit which acts as a master key.

Parking was discussed at length and there was a general feeling that the permit scheme would go ahead, though councillors admitted it would not solve problems in the Six Streets which are due to too many cars for the available space rather than student or commuter parking. The feeling seems to be that if any streets don’t adopt a permit scheme, nuisance parking will be displaced into those streets. Cowley St has particular problems with the issue of student parking exacerbated by the Unibus, which can barely fit through when both sides of the street are parked up.

There is a plan to put a waiting limit on the bays outside the parade of shops on Kedleston Rd as some spaces are occupied all day.

Police are to target drivers using mobiles in the area and, in connection with taxi licensing, look into taxis parking up on Arthur Hind Close. Drivers are reported to be leaving litter, among other things [!], behind.

There are serious issues with anti-social behaviour at the Victoria on Cowley St. Residents have formed a group to try to combat noise and other more serious anti-social behaviour late at night.

OTHER ISSUES

Councillors asked whether any community groups in the area would like to engage with the residents of the newly opened Parklands View on Bath St, near the rowing clubs, near Strutt's Park. It offers extra-care housing to the over 60s.

November 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Docker

Phil at November 6, 2016 at 11:23 AM

Darley Board Notes – 02.11.16

POLICE REPORT

There is a spike in house burglaries at the moment but police are pursuing this vigorously. They are also investigating drug use in the area but cannot give details as investigations are ongoing. More positively, motor vehicle and shed break ins are down after arrests. The exception with motor vehicles is white van crime, especially Ford Transits. Several gangs are targeting these vans with some sort of kit which acts as a master key.

Parking was discussed at length and there was a general feeling that the permit scheme would go ahead, though councillors admitted it would not solve problems in the Six Streets which are due to too many cars for the available space rather than student or commuter parking. The feeling seems to be that if any streets don’t adopt a permit scheme, nuisance parking will be displaced into those streets. Cowley St has particular problems with the issue of student parking exacerbated by the Unibus, which can barely fit through when both sides of the street are parked up.

There is a plan to put a waiting limit on the bays outside the parade of shops on Kedleston Rd as some spaces are occupied all day.

Police are to target drivers using mobiles in the area and, in connection with taxi licensing, look into taxis parking up on Arthur Hind Close. Drivers are reported to be leaving litter, among other things [!], behind.

There are serious issues with anti-social behaviour at the Victoria on Cowley St. Residents have formed a group to try to combat noise and other more serious anti-social behaviour late at night.

OTHER ISSUES

Councillors asked whether any community groups in the area would like to engage with the residents of the newly opened Parklands View on Bath St in Chester Green. It offers extra-care housing to the over 60s.

PARKING PROPOSAL

Generally the only time I struggle to park is in the evenings. The Uni is closed by then so I doubt the students parking contributes to the real problem. And I'm of the view that they pay road tax as well so why shouldnt they be allowed to park on a public road?

That aside my issue is that as a community we don't seem to use the space we have available efficiently during the busiest periods. A lot of us (Me included) are guilty of leaving too much space between cars when we park. Individually this doesn't seem like much space but over the length of a road, white street for example, it prob adds up to  3 - 4 wasted car spaces. A significant amount at peak times when your frozen shopping is melting in the boot and you can't find a space!

If we simply ask the council to mark spaces onto the road (or do it ourselves??) and encourage the community to ensure their vehicles are within the lines then it will erradicate this issue and ensure we maximise the number of cars we can get onto the road at anyone time. This way we won't have to drive past numerous gaps that are two small for even my very small hatchback. I estimate (It's an early projection) we will gain at least 3 spaces on each side of the road which, on Statham, White Street, Park Grove (Terraced Side only) and Wheeldon Ave alone would give us a gauranteed increase of 21 spaces at peak times.

My view of the rules for this system is as follows:

1.  Spaces would not be allocated to anyone or any property. Ie any car can park in any space.

2.  Spaces will be large enough to accept a typical family car such as a Nissan Qahsqaui allowing everyone to access their boots.

3. We would obvioulsy not block drop curbs, garages or disabled spaces etc

4. We would not be able to enforce adherence other than through friendly encouragement and neighbourly spirit. Fortunately we seem to have this in abundence!

Here are some pictures to show what I mean

current parking 

my proposal

I would be happy to explain this in detail, with digrams, at the next meeting should anyone have any questions.

Kind Regards

Tom D

November 8, 2016 at 5:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.